Friday 13 February 2015

Fair Isle Knitting


 Sorry, its a bit late but better now than never.


 Do you remember last year before Christmas I mentioned to you about my new obsession Fair Isle Knitting?



 I told you I would show you my new book on Fair Isle Knitting.


Well, here it is.


Yes it is a very nice book with lots of clear instructions which guides you through the techniques. And all these beautiful yarns are from Jamieson's Shetland.


Waiting for me, so they can be knitted into something cosy and warm.


 But before I could start something for me again I had to knit for little Emily first.


She just likes pink and purple. *Sighhhh*


We went to the yarn shop together and she choose these two shades of pink. Its Alpaca Tweed, lovely soft yarn. The heart pattern is from the above mentioned book. Of course, Emily loves hearts and its just ready in time for her to wear tomorrow - Valentines Day!


But for now she was not ready to model the sweater for me.' No I don't want to' is that what she says and pulls her hands like that when she doesn't want something. Bless her.


 The back is not too bad but yes I still need a lot of practice. I am addicted to fair isle knitting.



It is such a relief to finish a project and I am trying very hard this year not to have too many WIPs. Now that's tough. At least Emily's sweater is ready. It is slightly wider but that is because I did this without any pattern except the Fair Isle pattern. But better than being too tight I guess.


Now then! What's this basket full of yarn for?


Okay, sorry but I have to tell you a bit of this story now. Just before Christmas I read on  'Hen House Blog' about the tragic death of a very talented Artist 'Vanessa Cabban' from the blog 'Do you mind if I knit?'. Even though at that time I didn't know about Vanessa Cabban or her blog. 'http://henhousehomemade.blogspot.co.uk/'  blog post on her touched me and I started reading Vanessa Cabban blog during the Christmas holiday. How sad to have lost such a talented Artist and even more sad that I came to know about her, and her blog work; only after her death.

The other thing was that I joined Ravelry sometime last year, but never really used it until now. Recently I got into it again and as I started looking for some Fair Isle project for me. Then surprisingly came across a 'Knit Along Cowl' project and it said Remembering Vanessa Cowl Kal. It is a mystery KAL which started Feb 6, 2015 and anyone can join in the "A Knitter's Life" Ravelry Group under the thread, "Remembering Vanessa Cowl Kal" This is a cowl to remember the life and work of the lovely knitter, artist, illustrator, sculpter, gardner who passed away Dec17, 2014.
So I joined the group, aswell with many others, and choose some DK yarn from my cupboard for this cowl. It is a great project for using all those left over yarns from other projects.

Thank you Christina Wall from A Knitters Life to start this project x